How to create USB installer for Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
In the range of this writing, we will show you how to make an USB installer for Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan using 2 different methods: DiskMaker X and Terminal.
You might want to look at the instruction to download and create USB installer for Mac OS X (Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion) in our another topic.
You need to prepare following necessary tools and utilities:
- An USB 8GB or bigger.
- OS X El Capitan installer application must be on the Mac and in the /Applications/ folder. Mac OS X 10.11 can be downloaded from Apple Store. You may want to take a look on our another topic – Download Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.DMG – InstallESD.DMG.
- Download DiskMaker X here.
Solution 1: Make OS X El Capitan USB installer via DiskMaker X
Step 1: Run DiskMaker X, choose El Capitan when you are asked which version of OS X you want to make a boot disk.
Step 2: Choose Select an Install file…
Step 3: Locate and selet El Capitan installer in Applications/
Step 4: Click An 8GB USB thumb drive
Step 5: Select the right USB then click on Choose this disk.
Step 6: Click on Erase button then create the disk
Step 7: Choose Continue and fill the administrator password when you are asked.
Step 8: Wait until the process is finished.
You now have an OS X 10.11 El Capitan installer in a bootable USB.
Solution 2: Create OS X El Capitan installer in a bootable USB installer using Terminal
You need to follow exactly step by step in details.
Step 1: Format and make USB bootable
1. Plug USB into Macbook and run Disk Utility > Select the USB drive in the left side > Click on Erase > Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format > Apply.
2. Go to Partition tab > Select 1 Partition at Partition Layout.
3. Change the name to ElCapInstaller from Untitled > Click on Option.
5. Choose GUID Partition Table and click OK.
Step 2: Using Terminal command line
- Launch Terminal (Applications/Utilities). Copy and Paste the following code (pay attention on ElCapInstaller, the name of USB) and Enter.
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/ElCapInstaller –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app –nointeraction
- Type the administrator password, and then it will be finished you see the “Done”.
With having an bootable USB which contains OS X El Capitan installer, you could easily to install OS X 10.11 on your Mac device by pressing and holding Option (Alt) key when booting.