Download and create USB installer for Mac OS X (Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion)
As you know, Apple releases a new OS X operating system every year, and the new OS X can only be downloaded via the Mac App Store (currently OS X Yosemite). The older versions of OS X are still supported by Apple, but it should be more difficult to download. My following tip can help you easily download and create USB installer for OS X – Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion.
Before doing, you need to prepare 2 things:
- An USB – at least 8Gb or higher.
- A MacBook to run Disk Utility in OS X.
How to create USB installer for Mac OS X
Step 1: Download installer of OS X Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion
We are still able to download Yosemite from Apple store:
Go to Mac Apple Store > use your Apple ID and login > Find and download OS X Yosemite. After downloading, OS X Yosemite Installer will appear in /Applications. To get the InstallESD.DMG, go to Application > right mouse on OS X Yosemite > select “Show Package Contents“.
OS X – Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion can be downloaded through Torrent method:
- Download OS X Lion 10.7.5 (4,3 GB) – Torrent.
- Download OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (4,1 GB)- Torrent.
- Download OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 (4,9 GB)- Torrent.
- Download OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (5,3 GB)- Torrent.
Step 2: Format and make USB bootable
1. Plug USB into Macbook and run Disk Utility > Select the USB drive in the left side > Click on Erase > Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format > Apply.
2. Go to Partition tab > Select 1 Partition at Partition Layout.
3. Change the name to Untitled 1 from Untitled > Click on Option.
5. Choose GUID Partition Table and click OK.
Step 3: Make USB OS X installer
Run OS X installer.DMG download in step 1 to mount it’s virtual hard drive into system > Launch Disk Utility, select the right USB in the left side > Click pn Restore > Drag and drop OS X installer.DMG into Source > Drag and drop USB into Destination > Click on Restore button.
After the restore process is completed, we have obtained the USB stick containing the installer of OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite at your choice.
Notice: Once the USB stick should only contain one OS X installer version. You should have several USB stick if you want to create many installers.